Monday, May 23, 2016

Recovering A Partition that suddenly became RAW

Posted By: SES - 11:16:00 PM
Hello guys! Hope anybody could help me. Honestly, I'm already too frustrated to carefully scurry threads relating to my problem so here I am. If this is not the proper place for this thread I'm sorry. If this problem has already been resolved before please direct me to it. I can understand tagalog very well po and I can speak tagalog a little so okay lang po ang tagalog. Ipinost ko na po kac ito sa ibang site kaya pure english po sya. Any suugestion would be appreciated 

Cutting to the chase:

The setting:
I have a 500 gb external hdd that is divided into 3 partitions.
Drive O: which has 265 GB, Drive V: 99.9 GB, and Drive X: 100 GB.

The Problem:
After restarting (Not forced-restart) Drive O: becomes RAW. Chkdsk can't be performed, whether with /f, /r or anything. When I try chkdsk (even in elevated mode) it says "unable to determine volume version and state chkdsk is aborted."
Additional notes:
I was transferring (moving) a file to the drive. It took longer than usual but anyhow, knowing the might-be circumstances. I let-it be and the transfer was successful. After that I tried to "safely remove" it through the usual way, clicking the appropriate tray icon. But after it refused to do so (even after closing the processes w/c I thought is using the drive), I tried chkdsk, it went fine, but then there's still the process that somehow accesses it, so I did what I thought was the safest thing to do; an unforced restart. But alas, the problem.

Wanted outcome from solution/s:
Restore Drive O: to its state before the problem, including it's complete folder/file structure, without any corruption.

Tried solutions:
1. Used Testdisk:
Result: 
Test Disk shows the partitions correctly but cannot show or more accurately "access or read" the file structure of the partition in question. As a result, it cannot recover the partition. I tried deepscan. The results were the same.
2. Used Active Partition Recovery
Result 

First, fixing the boot sector won't do since the app shows the boot sector (and its back-up) are okay.
Active sometimes, is able to find "the" lost or deleted partition together with the exact file structure but when I try to restore it. The problem's still the same, windows ID's the partition as RAW and want's me to format it. (No. can't do)
Note that I've tried deepscan and the result's the same.
Now after scanning the drive and performing a helluva of diagnostic tools (ensuring that any of the processes are not gonna alter the drive in question in any way). I went to third solution:
3. EASEUS Data recovery Wizard
Results:

To it's credit. I have had partial success with EASEUS.
After a deep-scan, EASEUS is always able to find the partition in question and recover all the files (to a separate drive, with the exact folder structure if I may add).

Epilogue:
I could readily go for the third solution. But then, What I want is just restoring the partition to its state before the problem.
Another thing is I've done this before and the entire process usually takes an entire day so just imagine the hassle. As you can already guess, this is not the first time this happened. And no, I don't think the drive is physically damaged (although I think the cord might be).
I've run SMART tests and a handful of other HDD health scans and they all say the drive's okay. The drive's never have fallen to the ground or anything like that. I'm very careful when it comes to my HDD's. The scans also say there are no bad sectors.
I'm doing the aforementioned scans as of the moment, if these fails, I won't be touching the drive for a while.
I would really be grateful to anybody that could suggest some solutions or direct me to any.grammar

0 comments:

Post a Comment